Don’t you hate it when your Discord Screen share audio is not working in an emergency situation?
If you are a game freak, then you are not new for Discord App. There is no doubt that today the most used VoIP (Voice-over-Internet Protocol) application is Discord.
Most of its users are gamers who use this app to communicate and share audio and video in their community. According to the comprehensive report of July 2019, the users of this software crossed 250 million.
Since the arrival of the screen sharing feature in the Discord app, gamers are often encountering the issue of not working on audio in screen sharing. It’s quite frustrating and the most reported problem by Discord users.
If you are among one of the frustrated users, this article is for you. In this article, we will give you the reasons why the audio in screen sharing doesn’t work sometimes and what could be the possible solutions for that. But before that, it’s necessary to know some basics about Discord.
Let’s jump right in!
WHAT IS DISCORD
Discord is a free VoIP application designed for gamers or the gaming community to communicate. With this tool, players can do real-time chat, talk, and share audio and video clips or files with other gamers while playing online multiplayer games.
For using this app, your age must be at least 13 and above. This application can be run on platforms like Android, iOS, macOS, and web browsers with the help of desktop and mobile.
Discord is a unique and one of its kind’s cross-platform voice and text chat app developed to replace the other VoIP like Skype, Teamspeak, Slack, or CURSEVOICE.
It offers the features which are not available together in all the other VoIP’s like DDoS protection, Browser support, Change mic level individually Smart push notifications, lower latency voice chat, etc.
It allows users to access it by downloading and running the app or browse directly from its official website https://discordapp.com/. Once the dashboard is open, you can join the chat you’ve been invited for or create your private servers to play and chat with friends.
Here you can also keep your conversation private if you want or create a group chat with up to 10 members in it. This app offers a search option too, which helps to find other people to add them for discussion.
Because of its most easy chatting and sharing function, people are also using it as a social tool. They create groups, meetups to socialize with others, and broaden their circle.
WHAT IS DISCORD SCREEN SHARE FEATURE
Discord introduced the screen share feature in August 2017. This feature helps you to interact and share your screenshots with your friends along with the real-time sound. You only have to set up your audio and video hardware for using this.
But many gamers reported problems relating not working of audio in screen share recently. There can be many reasons for it. Let’s discuss
DISCORD SCREEN SHARE AUDIO NOT WORKING: REASONS and SOLUTIONS
Most importantly, the reasons can vary in different computers/browsers[Chrome, Firefox..etc] according to their configuration setting. Along with that, common lists of problems are:
REASON 1: IMPROPER VOICE SETTING
Sometimes the audio setting of your device (on which you are using DISCORD APP) is not proper or not configured correctly. This is a prevalent problem, and for this, you have to do certain checks.
FIRST STEP: check whether you have selected the correct input/ audio device. Follow the steps to check:
- Search sound icon in your taskbar and right-click on it to open.
- From the popup menu, select the sounds option.
- Now select Recordings Tab and then choose the correct input or audio device from the list.
- Click on Enable option after selecting the input and set it as the default device.
- Save the changes and restart your system to check.
SECOND STEP: check if Discord has given proper access to a microphone setting or not.
Steps for configuring microphone settings:
- Type Windows+S together to open the search bar. Then type Microphone privacy settings and press Enter.
- In the results, open the Windows setting.
- Here, you will get the option of Allow Apps to access your microphone. Make sure it’s on.
- Search Discord in list and tap to check if it’s unchecked
- Save it and run the program to check.
REASON 2: PROBLEM WITH AUDIO DRIVERS
A corrupted, outdated, or bad audio driver is responsible for audio problems in Discord screen share because, like every sound based application, Discord also uses the installed audio drivers of your system.
In this case, check the condition of your drivers and install the latest or updated audio drivers.
OPTION A: DO it with the help of the DEVICE MANAGER:
- Open run command box with Windows+R and type devmgmt.msc
- Now select the option of Audio inputs and outputs and click to open.
- Select your audio device and uninstall it by right click on it
- Now go back to the screen, refresh it, and again install it manually.
- Restart your computer here and check with the screen share audio function.
If still, it’s not working, try by updating your drivers by Right click on it or use window update for that.
OPTION B: Update your drivers with the help of DRIVER BOOSTER
- Download, install and run Driver Booster
- Hit the Scan button to start the search for problematic drivers
- Find the Sound, Video and game controllers option and Update it.
REASON 3: PROBLEM WITH PROGRAM AUDIO FEATURE/SETTINGS:
Discord introduced the feature of audio with screen sharing, but yet the audio function of the application is not updated according to that and still in its Alpha version.
They are still working with the compatibility of audio with this feature. And sometimes, the voice settings can also give rise to the audio issue.
SOLUTION: To reset the voice setting in Discord, follow the steps:
- Open the Discord App
- Click on setting icon in the right corner
- Check for Voice and Video option and click to choose Reset Voice settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click Okay tab.
- Restart Discord again.
Even after resetting the voice setting you still face the Screen share audio not working error in Discord, follow the below steps.
REASON 4: ADMINISTRATIVE GRANT CAN CAUSE DISCORD SCREEN SHARE AUDIO ERROR
Administrative permission was not necessary before the screen share with the audio feature. But now, more resources are being used for operation, and some are concerned with privacy and security too. Therefore, grating access is now necessary to run it smoothly.
SOLUTION: check out the steps for granting administrative rights:
- Launch File Explorer by pressing Windows+E. Now check the location of the installed discord app under the C drive of My Computer.
- Now right click on Discord application to open the drop-down menu and select Properties option.
- After that, select the Compatibility tab and click the option “Run this program as an administrator.”
- Lastly, click on the Apply tab to save the changes. Now, close the application completely and run again to check weather issue has been solved or not.
REASON 5: PROBLEM OF CORRUPT/ DAMAGED APPLICATION
Like every other application, Discord also needs regular updates to fix the bugs. Otherwise, these bugs can create issues in running the app smoothly. Along with that, damaged and corrupt files of Discord can also cause the screen share audio not working problem.
SOLUTION: The only solution to this problem is to Update the Discord App or to Reinstall. Follow the steps to Update or Reinstall:
- Open the Run dialogue by pressing Windows+R key.
- Type %localappdata% and press enter.
- Then double-tap on Discord
- Chose Update.exe and click it to update Discord.
- Close the program and open again to check.
- Open the control panel on your desktop. Click on Program and Features option
- Search for Discord and right-click on it to uninstall the program.
- Refresh your system
- Download the Discord application file again from the main website.
- Run the program and follow the instruction to reinstall Discord.
- After reinstalling, check the audio in the screen sharing feature, and if still, it’s not working, go to the next move.
REASON 6: PROBLEM OF PUSH TO TALK
Discord has the function of automatic detection of any audio activity by the user and transmits it accordingly on the web. But this function starts creating problems and issues with the “beta” feature of screen share with audio.
To avoid this problem, simply stop the automatic detection of audio activity in your Discord app and switch to the PUSH TO TALK option. Don’t worry; you can always undo the operation once your application gets stable. Here’s how you enable Push to Talk:
- Open Discord. Select the setting icon.
- From left side navigation, choose Voice and Video tab.
- Now check the option of Push to talk to enable it.
- Refresh the app and check to verify.
REASON 7: PROBLEM OF ACTIVITY NOT DEFINED
Sometimes the Discord App itself gets confused if you are screen sharing between games and applications. In general, the app is smart enough to pick the activity and functions according to it, but sometimes, it happens. And this blocks you directly from sharing audio in screen sharing.
To avoid this problem, developers suggest the feature of manually selecting the activity or game under settings so that you could focus on what you want. Here’s how you can do it manually:
- Open Discord
- Click on the settings icon
- Click option Games in the left Navigator Bar.
- Go to the Game Activity Tab and click Add It.
- After clicking the box, you will get a drop-down menu. Here, you select the program you want to share.
- Then Click on Add Game option to add.
- Do remember to turn on the Overlay for the program
- Restart the program again to check.
All the above problems and their solutions are tried and tested. If your audio is not working on screen share because of any of these problems, then sure the solution will help you. But if none of those mentioned above is matching your problem, then you just try the general solution to fix it.
SOME GENERAL SOLUTIONS+GUIDELINES
- RESTART OR REBOOT YOUR DEVICE.
Sometimes just rebooting your computer or device can solve the audio issue of screen share. You may not know, but sometimes the running apps in the background can conflict with Discord and cause the sound problem.
- WEB VERSION IS GOOD TO GO ALWAYS
Sometimes the bug in Discord app causes the audio issue. You can resolve this by simply using the web version of the Discord app because the web version doesn’t require any special permission to run or install on your device.
But make sure you are using the proper output device, and your mic setting is good enough to send the audio.
- APPLICATIONS INCOMPATIBILITY ISSUE
It might be possible that your audio is not working because of other applications in your system. Not every app is compatible with Discord. So better, find alternatives to those applications, or delete/ uninstall them if possible.
- FULL VIEW MODE IS NOT SUITABLE
It has been observed that whenever the users play a game or use the application in full-screen mode, it creates the audio issue in the screen sharing feature.
It happens because of a bug that arises a problem in Discord permissions and game access and doesn’t let the audio transmitting properly.
Avoid this problem by simply using your app in minimize format or simply change the setting of the game of video option to Windowed Mode. But don’t forget to restart your device before performing this method.
- CHECK WITH YOUR ANTIVIRUS
It’s a possibility that your Audio issue in Discord is occurring due to your antivirus. Maybe the antivirus is imposing some actions or unnecessary restrictions on application to run or share. So, to check if it’s true, disable your antivirus for some time and then run the app to test.
If it’s running, then fine, but don’t take risks. Immediately contact your customer support of your antivirus provider for a permanent solution or install some different and compatible antivirus in your system.
And if it’s not running, then check for the next option.
- ALWAYS CLEAR THE CACHE DATA
Catch data or files are the unwanted or temporary files downloaded along with useful things or files. We should clear them continuously because this data makes the system slow, and in some cases, they also cause Discord to fail.
Just clear the data and check again after refreshing, if it was concerned with the audio issue or not.
After reading this article, I hope you will get a resolution to fix Discord Screen share audio not working issue.
Apart from fixing, now we know how Discord is becoming popular not only for the gaming community but for socialization purposes for generals too. You can easily make friends, do chatting, and share videos and audios on it because of on growing gaming web day by day.
But along with that, we also covered how users are facing several bugs and problems in audio sharing in the screen sharing feature of Discord and also discussed almost every possible way to resolve it.
Try these fixes and solutions and also share this article with your friends so that they also recover themselves if in problem with audio issues.
Our Other Guides