- 1 How does “Push to Talk” works in Discord?
- 2 Push to Talk in Discord [Enable and Configure]
- 3 Fix “Discord Push to Talk Not Working in Game” Error
Discord Push to talk not working in Game?
By using the methods in this Guide you can easily get rid of this Discord Error.
Here are the methods that you can use to fix the problem. These methods are given below in detail, how it will work depends on the different operating systems.
- Run as administrator
- Recheck Keybind Settings
- Check the Discord Audio Settings, Audio Jack & Update your audio driver
- Try uninstalling Newly installed programs
We will help you know the methods to fix it in detail, but before that let’s know more about Discord and push to talk feature.
How does “Push to Talk” works in Discord?
Discord is very helpful to connect any individual with in-game friends from different countries. You can create a server in this communication platform and do whatever discussion you want about games. But sometimes if all voice is on, you will hear many sounds such as coughing, TV sounds, tapping, and many more. These sounds come from the people who are not using Push to talk.
With the help of Push to talk, you can talk only when you want with just a push of the button. It helps to minimize the background noise and helps you to focus on the game. There are some games like Playerunknown’s Battleground, Frontline, Fortnite, and many others, where hearing sounds of enemies is essential. Any external sound can ruin the experience of both games and squad play. Also, if you are in a clan or guild meeting, then all the people in a single channel can create a considerable noise.
You will find this feature in the Voice tab of the settings in Discord. If you only enable this option, it might not be enough, but if the whole squad in your team is using the Push to talk feature, then it will be easy to concentrate on the game. If you don’t know how to enable the option on Discord, then it is given below.
Push to Talk in Discord [Enable and Configure]
Almost every gamer uses Discord to communicate with in-game friends. If you are one of them and love to be in the community, then you need to know how to use Push to talk. Because sooner or later, you will have to use Push to talk in any games to talk with in-game friends. Let’s take a look at how to configure and enable the Push to talk feature in the Discord.
Steps to Enable Push to Talk
- Log in the Discord using the user id and password, then look at the bottom left corner of the screen to find the settings. Click on the settings
- Next, go to the Voice & Video tab, you will find it at the bottom after scrolling.
- After entering the voice tab, you will find the option of “Push to Talk.” Enable the option by ticking on the box next to the Push to talk option.
After enabling the option, you will find many other options along with it. Follow below steps to Configure PTT in Discord
Configure Push to Talk in Discord
You can assign any key in the keyboard as a shortcut of “push to talk.” It will help you very much to change the shortcut according to different games. In racing games, you can assign the shortcut near the arrow keys, and in RPG games, you can assign it near the W, A, S, D to easily communicate. Discord also gives you the option to assign multiple shortcuts at a time, so you don’t have to change the shortcut for different games
- You will get the different assigning options depending on the version of the Discord. In the desktop version, you will find the shortcut key tab separately. But in the web version, you will not get a separate tab; you will have to do it manually from the “edit Keybind” option. To assign a key, just click on the “add a Keybind” option in the tab.
- Now you will get a tab containing “Action” and “Record Keybind,” choose Push to talk as the action, and bind the key you want by clicking on the “Record Keybind.”
- After setting the Push to talk shortcut, come back to the Voice tab and scroll down to the Push to talk section
- In this part, You will find an option named Push to talk delay with a slider. As the name suggests, it will help you set the time of cutting your voice by Discord after leaving the shortcut key. You will get the lowest of 20ms, but it is better to keep it a big high to communicate smoothly.
Now go on your Voice chatroom, and go to any voice channel on your server that you have and press the key which we set before. and now you can talk to persons on the same voice channel whenever you want.
If you are facing any trouble with Discord Push to Talk, continue reading…
Fix “Discord Push to Talk Not Working in Game” Error
The Push to talk button is a useful of Discord. But unfortunately, there is a known bug of Discord in which the Push to talk stops working in-game.
This problem happens with many users while they are using the Discord. If you use the Push to talk in the background while playing the game, then it stops working. In many cases, it happens for automatic input sensitivity settings.
Now right between an online game, if you are unable to connect with the other squad members, then it can create problems in the gameplay. But don’t worry; here are some methods that you can use to fix the problem.
Fix-1: Run Discord as Administrator
If you are facing the problem of the Push to talk in-game, then you will need to follow some steps to fix it.
At first, quit from the Discord application, end the process by closing it from the task manager by pressing control + alt + delete.
Also, you can go to the control panel and click on the task manager to end the process without the shortcuts.
After closing it, right-click on the application icon and click on the option “run as administrator”. With the help of this, you will be able to use Push to talk in the game while running Discord on the background.
If you are unable to get the option “run as administrator,” then you will have to use the alternative way. In this way, you will need to right-click on the icon of Discord and go to the properties.
In the properties of Discord, you will find an option called advanced/Compatibility at the right bottom corner. Click on the advanced option and tick on “run as administrator.” You can also right-click on the icon and click on the open file location option to get the main application file and run it as administrator mode.
Fix-2: Check Keybind/Assigned Shortcut
Other than running as an administrator, you can also use another method to fix the problem of “push to talk”.
In this method, you will have to press and hold the assigned shortcut or bound key of the push to talk, while switching between the app and game.
After getting into the game you can release the key, the push to talk will work perfectly. But in some cases, it does not work properly and switching in other applications reset this trick.
Fix-3: Check the Discord Audio Settings, Audio Jack & Update your audio driver
If the above 2 methods do not work, you can try some other things such as check for any issues with the mic or any problem with the microphone.
Update Audio Driver
Regardless to mention, due to the old audio driver, the Push to talk can be unable to work on Discord. Therefore, make sure that the audio drivers are updated in the latest version. If your Audio driver is not updated, renew it following the below-mentioned steps:
- At first, you need to press the Win key + X, and after that, choose the Device Manager. You can find it on the menu
- Then, you would need to select the ‘Sound, Video and game controllers.’ When you open it, you will find an option called of your audio device in the list.
- After that, Right-click on the device name and select “Update Driver” then choose “Search Automatically for updated Driver Software” By selecting it, you can easily update your audio drivers.
If the audio driver update didn’t help try below step
Discord Voice Diagnostics
At first, open the Discord and go to the user settings.
Next, Scroll down to the bottom and go to the voice and video tab. You will find an option named “Voice Diagnostics.” Check the status of that option; you can turn it off to prevent getting any type of pop-up.
How to apply force Push to Talk
Now you know how to fix the push to talk feature and how to activate and deactivate it. But when you are in a group or squad and playing with many teammates or having a clan meeting, there will be many people on the channel. Most of the time one or two people keep their mic on and annoy others. In this situation, just turning push to talk is not enough in your device. Everyone in the channel needs to turn on this feature to avoid any kind of background noise.
If everyone in the channel knows how to turn on this feature, then it is all good, but most of the time many people are unable to turn on this feature. But don’t worry, Discord provides a way to deal with a situation like this. If you are creating the channel, you can go to the edit option after creating the channel. Then go to the permission tab and scroll down to the bottom. You will find an option named “Use Voice Activity”, you just need to turn this option off.
After you disable this option, nobody in the channel will be able to talk without push to talk option. If someone doesn’t have the push to talk enabled, then he/she will be muted automatically. But you can also individually give someone the option to talk without push to talk, such as admin, team leader, or any other people. With the help of this option, you can use force push to talk on a channel.
After reading this article, I hope you will get a resolution to fix Discord Push to Talk not working in-game issue.
If you are facing any issue with the push to talk option in your Discord, then use any of these methods to fix them. and also share this article with your friends so that they also recover themselves if in problem with Discord PTT issues.
Our Other Guides